Have you ever noticed how your hair always looks great the
morning before a haircut? Hair that was
unruly and bleached out suddenly becomes beachy-chic. It is hard to even remember that you spent
the past two weeks living in a pony tail.
This is how I felt on the eve of my 35th
birthday. Suddenly all of the drama,
all of the heart break, all of the mid morning hysterics paled in comparison to
the amazing, beautiful moments of 34.
My 34th year began with the hardest, most painful
decision I have ever made. After years
of debate, I knew I had to do it. So on
August 26, 2012 I “leapt” and they were right, a net did appear. A net that was woven by the tremendous love
and support I received from my friends, students and family. During this year my close friends became
even closer. I surrounded myself with
the most incredible, talented and funny people I could find. I met one of the most special people in my
life.
I felt joy and pure happiness. I felt loved. I also felt despair.
There were many moments that my throat clenched as I tried to sink into
savasana. Many, many nights where I sat
on my couch in an ugly gray and white robe and stared into space. Nights where no song on iTunes could be
found to match my sorrow.
But this was also the year that I swam with sea turtles in
the middle of the Pacific Ocean. The
year that I ran my first half marathon.
The year that I danced in a ball gown at the Palace of Versailles. The year that I met the Leggy Birds, four women that would hand me the pencil to write my own story. A story that has me dancing on page 1. A story that will hopefully inspire others to do the same.
During my 34th year I flipped my world on its
side. It wasn't working, I knew that
and I finally did something to change it.
I left my cozy North Barrington neighborhood and moved myself, Amelia
and Dylan to a teacup sized home in Libertyville. I was terrified. I was
exhilarated. And when it got rough; really, really rough I had to dig
deep. I practiced hours and hours of
yoga, I meditated and I turned my face to the sun and asked for grace.
My life is complex and often times crazy. It is full of moments intense and
bright. It is a life filled with laughter
and love and it is all mine. I wouldn't
trade any of it, not one single bit. When I woke up on the morning of my 35th
birthday my hair and my life looked great.
The best is definitely yet to come.
- Samantha Doughty
Yoga instructor, Leggy Life
- Samantha Doughty
Yoga instructor, Leggy Life

No comments:
Post a Comment